Man charged after tomahawk incident

A silver Ford, believed to belong to a 25 year old man charged over the weekend, was found abandoned at a residence in Narrandera on Friday morning.

A man has been charged and appeared in court following several violent incidents at Narrandera last week.

About 1pm on Thursday February, a 25-year-old man was allegedly involved in a domestic argument with his 28-year-old female partner at a home in Audley Street.

The man left the home prior to police arrival and officers from Griffith Local Area Command commenced a search for him.

Shortly after 10pm the man returned to the Audley Street home and became involved in a physical altercation with a 47-year-old man.

The older man was allegedly struck with a tomahawk and suffered head and facial injuries while the 25-year-old man suffered a stab wound to the abdomen and left the home.

The older man was conveyed to Narrandera Hospital by family members for treatment to non-life threatening injuries.

He was later transferred to Wagga Rural Referral Hospital where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

Police believe that the 25-year-old man attended a service station on the Newell Highway and after refuelling entered and threatened the console operator, demanding cash.

Police were called and established crime scenes at the service station and at the Audley Street home.

The man was later involved in a short pursuit with police which was terminated.

Shortly after 1am on Friday, the 25-year-old man was arrested and several items seized for forensic analysis at a home in Douglas Street.

He was conveyed to Narrandera Hospital, under police guard, for treatment to a stab wound.

“We’re just glad we got him,” a spokesperson for the Griffith LAC said last Friday.

“He’s still in hospital, and once he’s released from hospital we’ll be able to talk to him. Hopefully charges will follow.”

About 1pm on Saturday he was released into police custody and returned to Wagga Police Station.

The man was charged with wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and armed robbery.

He was refused bail and appeared at Wagga Local Court on Sunday.

The man’s car, believed to be a silver Ford, was found abandoned in the driveway of a Narrandera resident on Friday morning.

The resident, concerned about the presence of bloodstains in the vehicle, contacted Police immediately.

The car has since been towed away.

Be the first to comment on "Man charged after tomahawk incident"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.